In order to accurately identify male factor infertility, we require that the male partner submit a semen sample for analysis. This testing is done in our lab in all of our locations for your convenience.
Newlife Fertility Centre collections instructions:
- Best results are obtained from specimens collected by masturbation after a period of 3 to 4 days abstinence.
- The sample should arrive at Newlife Fertility Centre within 45 minutes.
- Collect all ejaculate into a sterile container. Do not use condoms or lubricants as these can affect the sperm quality.
- We provide special collection condoms at Newlife Fertility Centre for purchase if this is your preference.
- You may provide the sample on site as there are private collection rooms that are sanitized after each use.
- You must maintain sample at body temperature (ie inside pockets) when transporting to the clinic.
- You must bring a lab requisition from your doctor and your health card if you are not a registered patient of Newlife Fertility Centre. If someone other than the patient is bringing the sample, please provide them with the health card and requisition
- Results are usually available within 24 hours.
Normal Semen analysis is indicated as follows:
| Concentration (number of sperm per ml)
||20 million / ml or greater
|Motility (number of moving forward sperm)
||50% or higher
|Morphology (number of normal looking sperm)
||30% or greater
|Volume (amount of sample in ml)
||at least 2ml or greater