NewLife Fertility Centre diagnoses and helps find the cause of recurrent pregnancy loss for our patients in Ontario. The medical definition of recurrent pregnancy loss (RPL), sometimes referred to as recurrent miscarriage, is the occurrence of three or more consecutive pregnancy losses before 20 weeks of pregnancy. At NewLife Fertility, we work with patients with a history of two or more consecutive pregnancy losses in the first trimester or any pregnancy loss after 15 weeks. Our compassionate team understands pregnancy loss is challenging and traumatic. Since 2004, we’ve treated thousands of patients with customized care to help them have a successful fertility journey. Contact us today to learn more.
Recurrent Miscarriage Causes
Finding the cause of recurrent miscarriages may help prevent future loss and find a possible treatment. Most miscarriages are caused by genetic abnormalities and are random events. If a woman continues to experience miscarriages, the most common causes include:
- Genetic –Embryo chromosomal abnormalities comprise over half of all first-trimester pregnancy losses. Sometimes, genetic abnormalities are repeatedly passed on that contribute to multiple pregnancy losses.
- Uterine Anomalies –Uterine structural problems, including congenital abnormalities, polyps, and intra-uterine scarring, can complicate pregnancy.
- Endocrine Problems –Endocrine issues, including diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and thyroid and pituitary gland diseases may cause pregnancy issues.
- Environmental Factors –Environmental factors like exposure to drugs and chemicals or excessive use of alcohol or caffeine may increase the risk of miscarriage.
Diagnosis of Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
We perform diagnostic testing to help find the cause of pregnancy loss. The most common diagnostic testing procedures for recurrent pregnancy loss include:
- Karyotype Analysis–We can evaluate the parental chromosomes by analyzing a blood sample obtained from each parent.
- Blood Tests –We will test the levels of progesterone, thyroid hormones, and proteins that can affect the success of a pregnancy.
- Hysterogram – HSG injects dye into the uterus to evaluate the reproductive organs for any issues.
- Ultrasound –An ultrasound helps us detect any polyps, uterine growths, or fibroids.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss Treatment
Recurrent pregnancy loss treatment is determined by the cause of frequent pregnancy loss. If tests don’t show any abnormalities, the chances for a successful pregnancy are over 70 percent. Couples are referred for genetic counseling to determine the likelihood of a normal pregnancy if a chromosomal or genetic abnormality is found. Many patients have surgery to repair the defect if a uterine abnormality is found. Medications can often be described for blood clot disorders and endocrine issues. If lifestyle changes, surgery, and medication cannot treat the cause of pregnancy loss, many couples have successful pregnancies with fertility treatment options. We will work with you to determine the best treatment for your needs.
Contact NewLife Fertility Centre
We understand recurrent pregnancy loss can be emotional and stressful. Our team is here to help you find the cause of recurrent pregnancy loss and effective treatment. NewLife Fertility Center was the first clinic to provide in-house genetic testing and screening. We have many years of training and expertise to ensure your comfort in our hands. We’ll work with you to find the best solution for your recurrent pregnancy loss. Contact us today to learn about treatment options.
Check out the below information booklet on the M2 test.
We want to thank Dr. Alkurdi for everything she has done for us and helping us finally have our dreams of starting a family
We are so happy we went to Newlife !!! DR.Daya and his team were awesome. We genuinely felt like we mattered and the entire staff was rooting for us! We received important insights into our health and Dr. Daya took the time to carefully explain all processes and procedures. We…